1.2. What is Trisul
Trisul Network Analytics is a software suite that takes network packets or flow data and converts it into a stream of metrics, resources, flows, and security alerts. All of these are correlated and made available to you in real time. Applications of Trisul include deep network traffic management, network security monitoring, threat hunting, incident response, and audit.
Linux based Trisul runs on 64-Bit Ubuntu 18.04, 16.04, and CentOS 7.x systems. It has native support for advanced high speed packet capture and load balancing mechanims like PF_RING, AF_PACKET, and various proprietary hardware acceleration.
1.2.1 Who benefits from Trisul
Trisul will help the following organizations
- Enterprises : Both traffic monitoring and security teams in enterprises will benefit from the deep visibility provided by Trisul.
- NSM teams : Network security monitoring teams can monitor all of the entities and metadata in a practical manner using Trisul. Down to the packet level.
- ISP : ISPs use Trisul for compliance and large scale Netflow based visibility. We are in some of the largest ISPs in the world.
- Analysts : Analysts can analyze large PCAP dumps using Trisul to investigate deeply
- MSP/SOC : Managed Security services use Trisul for consulting to build a complete baseline from traffic, flow, security angles. They can also use Trisul to build a Security Operations Centre using the Multi Homing capabilites.
- Developers/Enthusiasts : Advanced users can use the Trisul APIs to build their own tools on top of the Trisul platform. We feature an open and well documented API using plain Lua and Ruby.
1.2.2 Multi site
The data collection and streaming analysis component is called the Probe . Probes are separated from the storage and reporting part, called the Hub. You can deploy a network of probes around key spots in your network and have them all report back to the hub. Trisul comes with tools to manage these distributed elements easily.
Trisul is completely programmable and is designed to be used as a platform on which you can build advanced network and security applications. The front end streaming analytics can be customized using a well documented and fast LUA API. The database query and scripting automation tasks can be written using Trisul Remote Protocol (TRP) API
1.2.4 Quick features list
The following table contains a list of things you can do with Trisul.
|Platform||Linux based with support for special hardware accelerators|
|Technology||Streaming analytics with a custom backend storage and reporting included. No need to deploy and maintain a Elastic Search cluster or expensive log management products|
|Traffic Analysis||More than just bandwidth or basic SNMP or Netflow monitoring. Over 150+ traffic metrics out of the box at all layers.|
|Flow Monitoring||Supports Netflow technologies as ingest mechanism. If ingesting packets, Trisul builds flow records and stores them. The specially designed flow database can scale to billions of flows per day with instant query times.|
|Metadata collection||A key element of NSM – Network Security Monitoring is the ability to log metadata. HTTP URLs, Domain details, SSL/TLS certificates, reconstructed binaries downloaded.|
|Security Alerts||Interfaces with IDS systems like Suricata to ingest alerts. The alerts are integrated into the other types of data.|
|Packet storage||A sophisticated packet indexing and storage system is included. You can create custom policies down to the flow level to regulate the storage requirements.|
|New : Graph Analytics||Trisul EDGE is a new feature set that brings Graph Analytics. Graph analytics builds relationship networks between various network entities seen by Trisul. For example you can click on a particular “Certificate Authority” to open up its neighbors to see which organizations, IPs, used certificates issued by them.|
For an exhaustive list go to Features page